Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Hours

So far, I have found the movie "The Hours" to be really interesting! I love seeing how the three different time periods are linked together through things that are more subtle and others that are very obvious. The very first one that I noticed, which was a pretty obvious one, was the way that the movie started out; Virginia Woolf writing Mrs. Dalloway, the single mom reading the novel, and Clarissa Dalloway saying the first line of the novel in her own context. I thought that was a really cool way to start the movie!
 I also like how there are certain symbols that they keep referring back to, like the cake that the single mom and her son make for the dad, which I think symbolizes how trapped she feels and how unhappy she feels living with her husband.
One other thing that I really like are how we get to see how the three women deal with their personal issues, due to the time period that the live in. It is clear that the more modern the times are, the more open they can be about their feelings, although there is still a huge difference between the 2001 setting and the 1950s setting.
Overall, I have really enjoyed this movie so far and I can’t wait to see how it ends!

No comments: